Ohio State nav bar

International Students

The university welcomes the opportunity to enrich our environment with the varied perspectives of people from other cultures. Prospective students who are not U.S. citizens and/or native speakers of English must meet several special requirements in order to be considered for admission.

  • All students who are not native speakers of English need to be fluent in the English language and must demonstrate their competence by submitting test scores for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Successful applicants typically have scores of 600 or above. The Ohio State University Graduate School requires a minimum score of 550. The minimum score on the computer-based TOEFL (CBT) is 213. This requirement applies to all applicants from countries where the first language is not English, unless a degree was earned in an English-speaking country. Thus, if you are a non-native speaker but are currently completing a BA or MA degree at an American or English university, you do not need to take the TOEFL. Admissions office information about English requirements is available here.
  •  Financial support for graduate students in the Department is provided mostly in the form of Graduate Teaching Associateships (GTAs). To qualify for a teaching position, students whose first language is not English must submit a Test of Spoken English (TSE) score with their applications. A score of 60 on the TSE is required before a GTA position can be offered to an applicant whose first language is not English. Alternatively, incoming graduate students will be asked to take an Oral Proficiency Assessment (OPA) after they are admitted. The University‚Äôs Spoken English Program offers this test in the summer (via Skype) or in the fall, as soon as students arrive. Students must be certified through the OPA or, if necessary, take classes and seek certification in order to accept a teaching appointment. If you have questions about the OPA, you can find information here.
  • If you plan to attend Ohio State as a non-immigrant student, you will need a Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 for the F-1 visa, or IAP 66 for the J-1 visa). Ohio State will issue you this Certificate once you have been admitted, based upon documented evidence provided by you that enough funds exist to cover all of your expenses. If you are awarded a Graduate Teaching Associateship, you will be paid for two semesters of teaching; your tuition will also be paid. For further information, visit the websites for the Admissions Office and the Office of International Affairs. The international application should be used by all international applicants who intend to hold a foreign student or other non-immigrant visa while in the United States.