There are four groupings of courses required for the History of Art major, totaling 39 credit hours, or 13 courses.
Group A consists of the four core classes all majors must take before graduation.
- HA4001: Writing in History of Art
- HA4005: Intro to Artistic Media and Techniques (students may also take a Studio Art course to fulfill this requirement)
- HA4010: Intro to Methods and Theories of Art
- HA4016: Senior Seminar in History of Art
Group B consists of 6 courses, or 18 credit hours, of electives within certain areas of study.
- Area 1: Two courses focusing on Mediterranean & European Art before 1700
- Area 2: Two courses focusing on the Modern Art of Europe and the US after 1700
- Area 3: Two courses focusing on the Arts of Asia, Africa, and Central & South America
Group C consists of two courses within a specific area of concentration at or above the 4000-level from one of the three areas listed in Group B. One of these courses must be at the 5000-level.
Group D consists of one additional elective from any area at the 5000-level.
Please see the linked Advising Sheet for a full breakdown of all courses required and the number of credit hours needed within each focus group.
For more detailed course information – including offerings and descriptions – feel free to visit our Courses page.